Pages

Manic Monday - Salt Dough Cakes

Yes, I know it's Tuesday, but I wanted to post about our crafting activity and knew it wouldn't be done until today, so I waited.

My neighbor and I have decided to start doing crafts with the kids (hopefully) once a week. This week is the first one. We made salt dough yesterday and had them look at a book to figure out what they wanted to make. Keona, who is 6, and my neighbor's daughter, decided to do a cake. What did everyone else choose to do, you ask? A cake. Why, you ask? Because Keona chose to! My kids adore her, and want to be like her (yes, even the boys!).

After doing the cakes, which Zarek and Josiah (neighbor's 2 year old) quickly lost interest in, we had to bake them at 200 degrees for 1-4 hours. I did them for 3 hours, and they still weren't done, but I didn't really want to put them back in, so the bottoms are a little undercooked.

Today Joy (my neighbor) brought over paints and we let the kids have a blast painting them. Keona and the boys were done really quick. Josiah lost interest, and Kaleii wanted to have some fun so I tried to let her do it, but she just wanted to try to eat the paint. I ended up doing Josiah's, and I guess that's a good thing because it still looks like a 2 year old did it! I'm horrible at crafts, but that's not what matters. ;) Not when I'm the one writing about it, anyway. Syleii, my sweet little 3 year old, took the longest, but hers turned out so amazing! They all did, actually, but Joy & I were just so amazed by hers because of how great she did. She was determined to get it all done and she was really focused. 

Bottom left up and back down to bottom right: Keona, Syleii, Malaki, Zarek, Josiah




This was a really fun project, and I can't wait to do more. We think that next time we're going to do animals. We'll probably make them and just let the kids paint, because they are so much harder to make.

What kind of crafts, or fun inside activities do you do with your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment